Wednesday, November 9, 2011

God's Laughing Plan

A time to weep, and time to laugh, a time to mourn, and a time to dance. Ecclesiastes 3:4

Like most people, I live under the domination of a clock. A stopwatch sits on my desk marking off the minutes and at the end of every week I check to make sure 40 hours have been recorded. If I didn’t use a clock to force discipline, the minutes, days and weeks would slip away with no work accomplished. But, I’ve learned the hard way that work is not the only thing that needs to be fitted in the schedule. Fun must be honored with designated time, too.

God did not choose to give us a life free of difficulty, but that doesn’t mean long faces are the only mood of which He approves. Laughter and dancing are also part of His plan. If we ignore these fun, relaxed times of celebration we avoid a good thing He ordained. When the pressures mount and workload is high, it is more important than ever to be intentional about our laughter!

One way to be intentional is through purposeful gratitude. When shadows creep, I set my mind to find five things every day that feel good. Even the tiniest, most inconsequential event can bring a whisper of joy. If I’ll pause and cherish the thing as it passes, gratitude replaces a glum outlook and soon life is worth living again.

Another way to incorporate fun is putting something on the clock. I can’t force my heart to laugh, but I can set aside one hour to watch a funny video or read a light-hearted book. I can’t giggle without a reason, but I can schedule time around people who are laughing and before I know it, I am laughing, too! According to God’s schedule, that is a good use of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment